Re: Please test gzip -9n - related to dpkg with multiarch support

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 10:04:04PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> Maybe the way to solve this properly is to remove compression from the
> uniqueness check - compare the contents of the file in memory after
> decompression. Yes, it will take longer but it is only needed when the
> md5sum (which already exists) doesn't match.

Actually, I think the real way to fix this properly is to not compress
files in the package at all.

The contents.tar.gz is already a .tar.gz, which means it's compressed.
Doubly-compressing files hardly ever nets a benefit, so we're not
compressing files for the benefit of our mirrors.

The only reason why we compress files in /usr/share/doc is so that that
directory doesn't waste too much space. If that is the case, I think it
makes much more sense for files to be packaged inside .debs
uncompressed, and (optionally) for dpkg to compress them on the fly
should the system administrator request it. It would then make much more
sense for dpkg to consider the contents of the file, rather than the
on-disk representation, and not cause this kind of issues.

As an additional benefit, this will also allow those among us (like me)
who hate having to use 'gunzip -c /usr/share/doc/foo/bar.pdf.gz >
/tmp/bar.pdf; xpdf /tmp/bar.pdf' in order to be able to read some
documentation, to just request that files are not compressed.

the following formula:

pi zz a