Re: severity for bugs in ignoring TMP/TMPDIR?

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > arbitrarily large files (in my workflow, 5-100 GB) in /tmp, which is on
> > > the root filesystem.

Well, that is Seriously Broken, and it needs fixing.  And it is not a
wishlist bug either.  We've been through a thread about this rather
recently.

There are no excuses for any application to assume it can dump arbritarily
large crap into /tmp and _not_ use $TMPDIR or some other method to configure
where to place large files.

> And how about having /tmp in tmpfs, so that it is limited to a
> fraction of the size of memory?  No application should assume that it
> can store working files of arbitrary size in /tmp.

Exactly.

  Henrique Holschuh