Re: Breaking programs because a not yet implemented solution exists in theory

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:
> On 01.02.2012 16:03, Andreas Tille wrote:

>> Assuming that Russ did not overlooked something this means that mailcap
>> entries can not generatet from desktop files.  So the one-liners
>> mentioned by Josselin which might solve 50% of the task could not
>> easily enhanced to two-liners doing 100% which do all the work.  In
>> other words we dropped support for a technique that is used by several
>> programs and it seems a replacement is either hard to do or not
>> possible at all.

> Tools like mutt, which need the extended mailcap syntax, can certainly
> continue to ship a mime file.

> If a package ships both a desktop and a mime file, the conversion-tool
> could simply skip the automatic generation of the mailcap entries under
> the assumption that the manually written ones take precedence.

Yeah, that's basically the sort of design that I was thinking of.

The programs on my system that use the extended mailcap syntax are all
ones that aren't very invested in using *.desktop files right now anyway.
Things like copiousoutput are useful for commands that don't really fall
into the core area intended to be addressed by *.desktop.