Re: lack of replacement for linux-vserver

On mer., 2012-02-01 at 10:33 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:37 AM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>
> > Just to be clear, 'that work' is not just a matter of forwarding
> > messages back and forward between the Debian BTS and the Linux-VServer
> > developers.  Unless the VServer project continues to support whichever
> > version we use in a stable release (3.2 in this case) then Debian
> > users are likely to run into different bugs that they won't want to
> > deal with.  There will also be integration issues to be resolved when
> > fixes from the stable/longterm branch conflict with the VServer
> > changes.  This requires real understanding of Linux and VServer
> > internals (see #618485 for an example of what happens without that).
>
> Data point; there is a VServer patch for 3.2 (marked as experimental though):
>
> http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Experimental/patch-3.2.2-vs2.3.2.6.diff
>
> It was also claimed on IRC that when using the Debian template for lxc
> (see below) that the security issues mentioned in the Linux 3.2 thread
> do not apply.
>
> lxc-create -t debian
> /usr/lib/lxc/templates/lxc-debian

Note that the template “only” drops CAP_MAC_ADMIN, CAP_MAC_OVERRIDE,
CAP_SYS_ADMIN and CAP_SYS_MODULE. Are we really sure this is enough?
http://www.mail-archive.com/lxc-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00977.html thread gives some pointer, but it seems that in the end they advise to drop quite some more caps than just those.

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis