Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On Jan 28, Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:

> Marvelous -- I particularly like his "Separate /usr has become
> increasingly unsupported anyway." which reminds me of the argument for
> Software Patents in Europe, which is that the EPO have been issuing
> Software Patents in defiance of the law for ages, so clearly the right
> thing to do is to change the law to fit the facts.
The difference is that you are not going to be able to influence Red Hat
in supporting systems with /usr not available after the initramfs, while
there is a political process to influence the creation of better laws
which even the EPO must follow.

(I am not singling Red Hat as the bad guy here, but it is the
distribution which controls the development of most low level system
components and so their design decisions have a significant impact on
others.)

--
ciao,
Marco