Re: from / to /usr/: a summary

On Jan 27, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:

> Do I understand you correctly that an empty configuration file in /etc
> will override its 'full' equivalent in /usr? I.e., just an empty file
> full of comments saying "this is what you can do with this file" will
> break some things?
This is correct.

> If so, are there some things in udev which intrinsically depend on that
> behaviour?
Documentation and consistency with all other distributions.

The only alternative solution which I consider acceptable would be to
move everything back to /etc and then symlink the /usr/lib/ directory to
the /etc/ directory.
But I am sure that you can understand why this transition would be hard
and messy for the maintainers of the affected packages at this point in
time.

BTW, I want to point out that Rusty Russell neatly summarized the points
of the / to /usr argument: http://rusty.ozlabs.org/?p=236 .

--
ciao,
Marco