Re: Patch Tagging Guidelines: DEP-3 moved to ACCEPTED status

Le mercredi 18 janvier 2012 à 19:13 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :
> I'm not sure I see the point. DEP was never meant to be a device that
> gives more power to anyone. It was just a device to keep track of a
> discussion that was already happening, document it in some durable form,
> and monitor its status. It's not like that the person with the power of
> marking a DEP as "ACCEPTED" has the power of creating the corresponding
> consensus.

“Dictator” is probably a bad term. See this as a chairman. Someone who
can judge when consensus has been reached, and mark a DEP as accepted.
This would avoid the countless and boring nitpicks by people who still
want to discuss after the consensus has been reached.

> Consensus should exist by itself, ditto for an implementation, and then
> the corresponding DEP could be marked ACCEPTED.

I don’t buy this. There will always be a large minority, if not a
majority, who will refrain from using a DEP until it is marked as
accepted.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :