Re: [Long] UEFI support

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 01:25:20AM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > Buying a nice new 64bit system for the purpose of running ancient 32bit
> > programs at high speed is still a lot more common than we would hope.

> Even worse: there's a lot of people pushing 32 bit for no obvious reason.

Just because it's not obvious to you doesn't mean there aren't reasons.

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 10:37:45AM +0800, Chow Loong Jin wrote:

> Not for long. Phoronix reported[1] that on the last day of UDS, it was
> mentioned that the recommended download for 12.04 will be 64-bit.

> [1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTAxMTQ

Well, that's not very accurate.  The decision that was actually made was to
*follow up* this cycle and evaluate whether it was practical to direct users
to 64-bit images by default.  There are some power and memory penalties on
lower-end systems when running in 64-bit, which means there are still
trade-offs that need to be evaluated when choosing the default.