Re: Stuff from /bin, /sbin, /lib depending on /usr/lib libraries

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 10:19:29PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Petter Reinholdtsen

> > [Steve Langasek]
> > > My knee-jerk reaction to the Fedora proposal had been that it was
> > > sick and wrong and would cause unacceptable breakage for users on
> > > upgrades if Debian adopted the same plan.  However, I struggled to
> > > formulate a concrete scenario where losing support for that last
> > > configuration would actually make a difference.

> > I can give you one example of what we loose if stuff in / depend on
> > stuff in /usr/.  I read the entire thread, and everyone is talking
> > about the boot, while ignoring the shutdown.

> Given the initramfs (in this context) would mount /usr, we could adopt
> the interface as specified in
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/InitrdInterface and we
> could make this work.

Well, even without that, it would be straightforward to change the shutdown
scripts from trying to unmount /usr to trying to remount it read-only -
i.e., the exact same thing we do for /.

There is one pathological case where this would be a problem, and that's
where the backing store for /usr is located on another filesystem (such as
an encrypted loopback filesystem).  While the init scripts do try to do
everything right such that this *could* be handled correctly at shutdown as
long as /usr can be unmounted, I can't see how this would be a sane
configuration that we need worry about supporting any better than we already
do (i.e., not well).