Re: Stuff from /bin, /sbin, /lib depending on /usr/lib libraries

]] Petter Reinholdtsen

> [Steve Langasek]
> > My knee-jerk reaction to the Fedora proposal had been that it was
> > sick and wrong and would cause unacceptable breakage for users on
> > upgrades if Debian adopted the same plan.  However, I struggled to
> > formulate a concrete scenario where losing support for that last
> > configuration would actually make a difference.
>
> I can give you one example of what we loose if stuff in / depend on
> stuff in /usr/.  I read the entire thread, and everyone is talking
> about the boot, while ignoring the shutdown.

Given the initramfs (in this context) would mount /usr, we could adopt
the interface as specified in
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/InitrdInterface and we
could make this work.

> When using NSS modules linked to libraries in /usr/ and bash (or any
> other shell loading user information at startup) as /bin/sh, the shell
> scripts being run to shut down the machine will block /usr/ from being
> umounted.  When /usr/ is a LVM partition, this block LVM from being
> shut down, and leave /usr/ in a dirty state and LVM not properly shut
> down before poweroff.

LVM vs non-LVM isn't really relevant here, is it?  It's just about
whether /usr is a separate fs or not?

--
Tollef Fog Heen