Re: Maildir vs. mbox in Debian

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 03:20:34PM +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2012-11-29 01:28:37 +0100, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> > But it also has disadvantages to the mbox formats which may be crucial
> > for some people:
> > - wasting a lot of storage, which can be significant even if you use
> > small file systems block sizes...
>
> This is a problem with the file system, not with maildir. Here's
> an example of file system (though not for Unix) that was partly
> optimized to avoid these block size problems:
>
>   http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~theom/riscos/docs/ultimate/a252efmt.txt
>
> (just for the pleasure of citing mail from 1990 :)
>
> Now, I would say that in general, the wasted space is small compared
> to large attachments. And if you have only text and care about disk
> space, you should consider a compressed format, not "pure mbox".

*cough* btrfs -ocompress=lzo.  Small files are packed inline in metadata
blocks, and you get compression you wanted.  Using lzo is faster than no
compression for most loads, adding negligible cost for incompressible data
(especially if not all cores are at 100% usage).

--
How to squander your resources: those silly Swedes have a sauce named
"hovmästarsås", the best thing ever to put on cheese, yet they waste it