Re: the right bug severity in case of mbox formats

On Wed, 2012-11-28 at 22:06 +0000, Darren Salt wrote:
> It would make sense to have that enabled by default, and to ensure that all
> software in Debian which produces MIME quoted-printable does this, or at
> least can do this.
I agree... but let me add a few notes:

1) Most programs I know of (at least Evolution, haven't checked mutt
yet) that do this =46rom encoding do it completely wrong... why?

Just quoting (regexp) "^From (.*)$" lines to "=46rom \1" is obviously
not enough.
One also needs to quote "^>(>*)From (.*)$" lines to "=3E\1From \2"...
otherwise clients could again wrongfully unquote such lines...

For Evolution I've already opened an upstream bug about this (but of
course they ignore it like the corruption itself).

2) Be liberal in what you accept and conservative in what you send.

I think it's a good idea if we enable this quoting as a safe-guard in
all places where we can... but this cannot mean that we can rely on
other using it, too.
The mail standards never demand it, so we must handle the From_ line
corruption by going away from mboxo.

Cheers,
Chris.