Re: "Do not CC me"

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 08:03:54PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> The solution to this is very simple. Have the
> mailing list manager to add a Reply-To: header
> on each messages.

As you pointed out the "solution" is technically wrong.

> But, probably, mailman is too stupid to have such
> kind of options (I use (and maintain in Debian) MLMMJ,
> which is used by big distros like Gentoo and SUSE).

Already refuted by Paul Wise.

> P.S: I know that the list manager adding a Reply-To:
> header breaks the RFC, and people setting-it up
> explicitly on their mail client, but it works very well...

It breaks a valid use case. Consider a user not subscribed to
debian-devel (for instance because she wishes to avoid all those useless
flames). Said users sends a mail and actually wants CC. She therefore
adds a sensible Mail-Followup-To, which is not honoured due to the
presence of the broken Reply-To. The response is lost despite the
explicit preference of the user.

So what could be done indeed is to generate a missing Mail-Followup-To
header on the mailing list server, as the server knows who is
subscribed. I doubt that any mailing list software has such a hack
implemented. Maybe fix your MUA instead?

Helmut