Re: "Do not CC me"

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 12:27:31AM +0400, ?????????? ?????????? wrote:
> I see many note in this list like:
> "I'm registered to the list. So please *do not* Cc: me."

Technically this is a solved problem. The solution is called
Mail-Followup-To[1]. Due to the popularity of the Mutt, Gnus, KMail and
Icedove MUAs among Debian users this header is honoured in many cases.
(Those should make up at least half of the list traffic.) A quick grep
on my mailbox tells me that about one fifth of the posts already carry a
Mail-Followup-To. Seems like there is some still room for improvement
for those crying "do not CC".

To generate Mail-Followup-To see:
 * Mutt: http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-4.html#ss4.8
 * Gnus: http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_28.html
 * Icedove: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Help_Documentation:Mail-Followup-To_and_Mail-Reply-To#Configure_Thunderbird

Hope this helps.

> So I'd like to note:
>
> 1. Some e-mail cleints make it hard not to CC. For example GMail has only
> two options: reply and reply to all. "Reply" will send email to the author,
> not to the list

With some MUAs it is difficult not to send mail in HTML-only. Is that an
excuse to do so? I'd say no. So if you deliberately choose the pain of
correctly sending mail with GMail, that's hardly my problem, right?

Helmut

[1] http://cr.yp.to/proto/replyto.html