Re: "Do not CC me"

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Dmitrijs Ledkovs <xnox@debian.org>, 2012-11-26, 00:19:
> >If your e-mail processing machinery cannot handle duplicate
> >messages (due to cross-postings and CC's), maybe you should get an
> >a better email processing machinery. Receiving duplicate emails is
> >inevitable, and trivial to deal with.
>
> Oh really? I've always wondered how is this supposed to work.

Well, the software to do it is around for more than 15 years.  Google for
"procmail duplicate suppression".

Basically you keep a database of the message-ids seen in the last "n" days,
and don't deliver them again.  You do it per-folder or system-wide or in
whatever way you want, by using separate databases.

Nowadays there is an added aggravation: if anyone worth of notice uses
Outlook, you need to key on envelope sender+recipient+message-id to work
around some atrocious bugs in Outlook's message-id handling.

I just store everything in Cyrus IMAPd 2.4, and tell it using a folder
annotation whether it should drop or store duplicates that end up sorted to
that folder.

> Let's imagine I received a mail, read it, decided it's not
> important, and deleted it. 5 minutes later another mail with
> different contents and headers but the same message-id is received.
> How do you deal with such situation "trivially"? Do you have some
> kind of AI to decide whether this is the "same" message or not?

A duplicate suppresion database does not even require a state machine, let
alone an AI...

  Henrique Holschuh