Re: Canonical pushes upstart into user session - systemd developer complains

On Sat, 2012-11-24 at 20:29:51 +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> While reading a bit on it, I found this passage:
>
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 08:17:35PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > By making use of a Linux-specific prctl(2) call, we effectively tie
> > Upstart to systems running with a Linux kernel. This is a major
> > restriction, but porting to other systems is already complicated by
> > the fact that even the BSDs do not provide a full POSIX environment
> > (missing "waitid(2)" for example).
>
> So it's not just systemd which runs into the situation that at some
> point they have to drop support for non-Linux kernels because they
> need a Linux-specific feature, in this case prctl.

waitid is supported on FreeBSD. Regarding prctl(2), it seems upstart
is supposed to handle Linux kernels w/o prctl(PR_SET_CHILD_SUBREAPER)
support gracefully by printing a warning and just ignoring respawn
statements, so the same could be applied to non-Linux kernels. Of
course there's other things that might need porting currently.

Regards,
Guillem