Re: Canonical pushes upstart into user session - systemd developer complains

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> writes:
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 08:17:35PM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

>> By making use of a Linux-specific prctl(2) call, we effectively tie
>> Upstart to systems running with a Linux kernel. This is a major
>> restriction, but porting to other systems is already complicated by the
>> fact that even the BSDs do not provide a full POSIX environment
>> (missing "waitid(2)" for example).

> So it's not just systemd which runs into the situation that at some
> point they have to drop support for non-Linux kernels because they need
> a Linux-specific feature, in this case prctl.

This is not a revelation.  We've known this for, literally, years.  It's
been part of every previous init script discussion we've had on
debian-devel.  However, many of those features can be made optional or be
implemented another way, not to mention that the FreeBSD kernel is not
static either and can adapt and adopt new features itself.

Porting any more modern, event-driven, session-aware init system to
FreeBSD is going to require actual work.  I don't think anyone is under
any illusions to the contrary.