Re: Gentoo guys starting a fork of udev

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Salvo Tomaselli <tiposchi@tiscali.it> wrote:
> On Thursday 15 November 2012 00.57.50 John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> People are constantly insisting that systemd is too bloated or unreliable,
>> but yet no one has really come up with real examples to prove that.
>
> Hum, actually when i tried it, i couldn't halt or reboot my machine without an
> hard reset. I suppose that is a real example of bloated?

That would be unreliable, not bloated.

Bloated could mean a number of things, roughly: Does too many things,
links to too many libraries, takes up too much memory, disk space or
possibly CPU time for what it does. Pretty much always a value
judgement at some level. Clearly all interrelated, but nothing
(directly) to do with unreliable. Doing a lot without good enough QC
could lead to unreliability, but it doesn't have to. And code can be
unreliable while being very tight and compact - though it should
decrease the likelihood.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers