Re: Gentoo guys starting a fork of udev

> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 09:49:07PM +0800, Patrick Lauer wrote:
>> But anyway, we're getting tired of their ADHD-driven changes just to
>> change things
>
> TBH, I'm getting tired of people who are constantly shooting against
> them because these people are unwilling to accept changes. We're not
> bringing Linux forward if we stick to 30-year-old concepts.

Y'know ... I like progress. There's some pretty nice new things that are
an actual improvement, like GPT. At last more than 4 partitions (and no
longer compatible to MS-DOS 3.3) ...

But then there's for example UEFI (which I've never seen working as
suggested by documentation), grub2 (should be called "blinky cursor
app"), then the random changes to udev that make it unable to load
firmware, moving things around (well, no script hardcodes /sbin/ip,
right?) just for fun ...

I'm tired of these changes that don't solve any problems. Half-baked
stuff that is deployed before it is even feature-complete with the
boring old stuff it is supposed to replace. How would you feel about a
forced upgrade of apt to yum? After all newer is better ...

> systemd is a good
> design and most people actually agree otherwise it wouldn't become
> standard on so many distributions (except Ubuntu, but that's rather a
> political decision IMHO).
It does have some good ideas, and it is better than the random bits of
unmaintained shell it replaces - but it's mediocre at best. No real
design, just things nailed together with screws and secured with tape.

I'm waiting for the one that comes to replace it :)

> One of the Arch developers actually made a couple of good points why
> they switched to systemd as default [1].

Their users really appreciate it, especially those that are now
migrating to other distros because they preferred their OS when it was
booting as intended.