Re: Where could I upload x32 port bootstrap?

On Sat, 10 Nov 2012, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 11/10/2012 08:15 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > 3) Memory usage of some common server workload.  E.g. email with
> > amavisd-new+spamassassin (perl is a memory pig in amd64), or a LAMP stack
> > with some common web application
> Hi,
>
> I cannot tell for the other use cases, but for what's above, I can,
> I have a long experience of running that. That's basically what I
> sell (well, rent...) as a hosting platform to hundreds of customers
> running on virtual machines.

Yes, I know :)  Our amavisd-box at work has 16GiB RAM and 16 cores,
we need at least that much to be able to run 64 instances with the
scratch directories on tmpfs...

x32 would be most likely a _MAJOR_ win for that box.

> This makes me think that it's been years that we should have switched
> to using DSPAM and clam-smtp instead of amavis and spamassassin! :)

IME, performance would tank, besides amavisd-new does so much more than what
DSPAM+clam-smtp can do, it is not even funny.  So, we take the memory hit.
The next box for that job at work will have 24GiB of RAM and 32 cores, so
that we can run 128 instances of amavisd-new.

  Henrique Holschuh