Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Intel/AMD x86 CPU microcode update system in non-free

On Thu, 08 Nov 2012, Christoph Egger wrote:
> Peter Samuelson <peter@p12n.org> writes:
> > ...But it does bring up the question of why intel-microcode and
> > amd64-microcode are not built on kFreeBSD or the Hurd.  Maybe those
> > kernels lack a CPU microcode interface?
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/faq/compatibility-processors.html
>
> Though I rather doubt the linux microcode framework and the FreeBSD one
> are *that* easily compatible

The datafiles should be identical, I think.  So, if someone actually uses
Debian/FreeBSD, has an AMD and Intel processor boxes that can take a
microcode update (i.e. outdated BIOS/EFI), and wants to help, it should be
possible to support it.

  Henrique Holschuh