Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Intel/AMD x86 CPU microcode update system in non-free

> On Donnerstag, 8. November 2012, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > And an annoying technical detail makes it suboptimal to add the microcode
> > > packages as a recommendation of the firmware-linux-nonfree package.
> > ...which is that dpkg does not support architecture-specific relations
> > in binary packages.

[Holger Levsen]
> So make it recommend both microcode packages?

So firmware-linux-nonfree should have two Recommends that are
unsatisfiable on all but 2 of Debian's architectures (i386 and amd64)?
I agree with Ben that that is "suboptimal".

...But it does bring up the question of why intel-microcode and
amd64-microcode are not built on kFreeBSD or the Hurd.  Maybe those
kernels lack a CPU microcode interface?

Peter