Something like nocompress DEB_BUILD_OPTION
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Something like nocompress DEB_BUILD_OPTION
- From: Dmitrijs Ledkovs <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 19:31:54 +0000
- Message-id: <CANBHLUj_Td_jpUUTe37hvbUbZNWKa+vgwpCVY31_Xr39bYWHfirstname.lastname@example.org>
I would like to have a nocompress Debian build option that will skip
any compression/optimisation at build time.
Specifically dpkg-builddeb and dpkg-source should use not use any
Similarly other tools can optionally listen on that variable e.g.
skipping pkgmangler and dh_scour.
This is meant to be a developer option when creating test/throw-away binaries.
In particular it would be useful during:
* change-rebuild-test cycles
* (local) archive rebuilds (when debs are not published, e.g. testing
a transition / binNMUs)
An even more crazy thought is to transfer uncompressed debs to a
faster host for compression.
Does this sound reasonable? Does this need to go as a feature request
against policy or debhelper or as a DEP?