Re: IPv6, tentative addresses, bind(), wheezy

Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> (04/11/2012):
> Is there a way to get an event-based notification of this change, so
> ifupdown can listen for such an event rather than having to poll?

TL;DR: I think so.

<disclaimer>I don't know anything about the linux kernel</disclaimer>

Looking at net/ipv6/addrconf.c we have for examples:

doing things like:
  ifp->flags &= ~IFA_F_TENTATIVE;

It looks like ipv6_ifa_notify() is called upon changes.

That one ends up calling inet6_ifa_notify(), which has things like
struct sk_buff, nlmsg_new(), rtnl_notify(). The last one is defined in
net/core/rtnetlink.c; it looks like somebody wants to hook oneself up
onto a netlink socket from userspace.