Re: [PROPOSAL v2] Orphaning another maintainer's packages
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL v2] Orphaning another maintainer's packages
- From: Michael Gilbert <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 13:58:28 -0400
- Message-id: <CANTw=MNiTUOyQk9YW27SMjyuE7Dd75MhG9FGRr+nZ8T0jBy82A@mail.gmail.com>
- In-reply-to: <20121101084855.GB26040@master.debian.org>
- References: <20121027093615.GA27593@xanadu.blop.info> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20121030135212.GA10585@an3as.eu> <email@example.com> <20121031070545.GB32333@an3as.eu> <20121031080420.GB11941@client.brlink.eu> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20121031183400.GA17521@master.debian.org> <CANTw=MNCgtiFWg9XC6ZJf9Pp+O67njyxf=xP7Uyv6GOdy0Z3jg@mail.gmail.com> <20121101084855.GB26040@master.debian.org>
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 4:48 AM, Bart Martens wrote:
>> wine: http://bugs.debian.org/585409 (new upstream pushed via nmu)
> This is a good example where talking helped to gather all views on all aspects
> from all involved people. My impression is that finally the maintainer allowed
> new co-maintainers doing things differently. That does not really match Lucas'
> proposal which is about marking packages as orphaned so that they can be taken
> over by a new maintainer.
It matches my proposal where interested contributors apply nmus as
needed to improve the situation, then eventually become uploaders.
>> python2.6: http://bugs.debian.org/679030 (new upstream pushed via nmu)
> This does not seem to be an example of "the maintainer refuses to package any
> newer upstream". This seems to be just an NMU, not related to Lucas' proposal.
As we were getting close to the freeze, python2.6 was in a poor
situation where it was going to ship with 2.6.7 in wheezy, and thus
lack a whole bunch of security updates. Julien Cristau made the
decision that this would be unacceptable, and prepared a new upstream
nmu resolving the inactivity.
This is certainly a case of a maintainer acting in an unproductive
manner. The previous 2.6.7 upload was made almost an entire year
prior to that.