Re: Popularity of bzr-builddeb and dh-make

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:

>> And if your packaging branch actually tracks the full source package
>> contents, then it would have to track the autogenerated files, so you
>> might actually be storing these files twice.

> Delta compression should always take care of that, no matter how you
> organize your repository.

Oh, wait, no, I see what you're saying: one version in the pristine-tar
xdelta and one version in the packaging branch.  Yes, in that case, you'd
probably store it twice, since Git isn't going to be able to figure out
what's going on in that xdelta.  But that would require using pristine-tar
with a branch that isn't an actual upstream branch in the git-buildpackage
sense, which pretty much requires not using git-buildpackage (or at least
using a very strange set of options).  While certainly nothing requires
one to use git-buildpackage with a Git-based workflow, I suspect it's the
most common approach.