Re: (seemingly) declinging bug report numbers

On Wed, 2012-10-17 at 08:58 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 02:46:18 +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer
> <calestyo@scientia.net> wrote:
> >First declining bug numbers are not necessarily a problem, because it
> >could just mean that we're getting better and better, or that more and
> >more upstream issues are reported upstream (which would be a good thing
> >IMHO), or that the maintainers already catch many problems themselves.
>
> I have adopted, in the last years, a stance of looking for a package's
> maintainer first before I file a bug. With certain individuals, or
> certain teams, I do not bother filing Debian bugs any more because
> they tend to be closed with "send a patch, kthxbye" anyway,

Even some bugs _with_ patches are treated the same way or kept open and
never acted on. Shouldn't the number of open bugs be decreasing with
time, not being constant or increasing as is the case for some packages?

> or they'll
> rot away in the BTS without maintainer reaction, and after a few
> years, being closed with "upstream has released three times since this
> bug reports was filed, things are likely that this bug is fixed,
> closing it without further checking, feel free to re-open if it's
> still present".

True, very true. Or bugs are closed due to a package being removed from
the distribution, and never attended to at all.

> This is, imo, the result of Debian's lack of personpower in core areas
> of the distribution.

Might be so, what to do about it? Maybe more team-maintained packages.
And better procedures for package salvaging, as the current discussion
thread on salvaging packages shows.