Re: Popularity of bzr-builddeb and dh-make

Craig Small <csmall@debian.org> writes:
> debhelper has gotten smarter with every release and gradually what
> dh-make has had to do is getting reduced.  I'm not sure we're at the
> point of removing dh-make (it's an open question; I'm really not sure)
> but perhaps we will be there one day.  As it was written to solve a
> problem, if the problem goes then we won't need it.
>
> Steve with his years of packaging experience is not probably a good
> sample of one to base this upon. I'd be curious to see if newer
> packagers use it or not.

I've started packaging two packages about a year ago and first tried it
with dh-make. I found it confusing and not helpful. I don't remember
many details of dh-make, but the gazillions of files that it created
were definitely a contributing factor. I then tried debhelper which made
me much happier and have been using it ever since.

Best,

   -Nikolaus