Re: Poll (was: Popularity of bzr-builddeb and dh-make)

On 12 October 2012 13:52, Hideki Yamane <henrich@debian.or.jp> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 14:46:41 +0200
> Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer@debian.org> wrote:
>> The workflow doesn't have to involve Launchpad either - I'm not using
>> Launchpad at all for my Debian packages. Just because the majority of
>> Bazaar users host their branches on Launchpad, doesn't mean that a
>> Bazaar workflow has to involve Launchpad.
>
>  Okay. I'm wrong.
>
>  BTW, most people uses svn or git, what is prefer you to use bazaar?
>  I'm curious.

well the fact that it works nice out of the box and has nice command
line syntax.

pristine tarball is on by default.
auto detects: native/non-native and full source vs debian/ dir only
packaging by default
auto fetches tarballs: from the pristine tar, from apt, from servers
with get-orig-tarball, with uscan
builds packages in a sane way, even if you have uncommited changes:
bzr bd (for debuild), bzr bd -S (for src package only)
Simple to make it split-mode: e.g. if you are both upstream and
packager, you can do $ bzr bd --split, which will create original
tarball sans debian dir and build proper non-native package (this is
very hard to do with other tools)
bzr-bd supports merging packages really well when you fork sid &
experimental and what to keep both forks in sync, or finally fold
experimental into sid, without loosing changelogs.
(BTW I hate how some maintainers do not keep NMU changelog entries....)
bzr-bd can deal with quilt patches sensibly by auto applying &
removing them depending on your preference, the default is sane as
well.

also great support on ubuntu-udd mailing list and ubuntu-motu irc
channels using it for most core packages in ubuntu helps as well.

The list goes on =)

With svn/git/hg/mnt-buildpackage I have yet to see all of these little
features work so well out of the box with no or little configuration.

I wish hg-queues would be better integrated into hg-buildpackage, or
bzr-bd had pipes/looms support for top class quilt patch management.
But none other tools get it right either.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.