Re: Popularity of bzr-builddeb and dh-make

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 16:03:53 +1100
Craig Small <csmall@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 02:38:46PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > dh-make isn't so relevant now that debhelper 7 exists.  cp
> > /usr/share/doc/debhelper/examples/rules.tiny debian/rules && dch
> > --create, manually create debian/control and debian/copyright, and that's
> > about it.
>
> Steve with his years of packaging experience is not probably a good
> sample of one to base this upon. I'd be curious to see if newer
> packagers use it or not.

People around me @ work who are/were unfamiliar with Debian packaging
find the .ex files particularly useful as worked examples - especially
for the maintainer scripts, init scripts and manpage starters.

dh-make as an executable may have had it's day but the worked example
files are valuable and will remain so as long as the examples continue
to keep up with Policy.

--

Neil Williams