Re: Question about debian experimental.

(This thread is better suited for debian-mentors, setting
mail-followup-to accordingly)

Le 08/10/2012 18:30, Andrej N. Gritsenko a écrit :
> Hello!
>
> I have a question. Since maintainers of LXDE are extremely busy
> last few months I would like to find a way to upload latest
> upstream version of libfm and pcmanfm into experimental
> repository.

Hi,

Please don't feel sorry for trying to help. But also understand that the
maintainers of a specific package usually work on there spare time and
are concentrating on the release.

I'm not sure if anyone but the LXDE maintainers would upload these
packages for you, even in experimental.

There are two things you can do:
 1- make your packages readily available on the internet, but not in
the official archive;
 2- help the official maintainer integrate your changes.

1- make the packages publicly available:

I would try building the binaries on at least the two most popular
architectures, i386 and amd64. Choose a version number such as
 x.y.z-0~andrej
to make it sorts before any future official version, including NMUs
and backports.

You would then need to upload the source and binary packages to some
website. github can serve you here.

Finally, just mention it in the bug reports, so users can find your
updated packages.

2- Two things to do to help your work reach the official archive:
 a- Send your changes to the bugreport(s) as a patch and tag the bug(s)
    +patch (this is almost a must do)
 b- Prepare another source package (with version such as x.y.z-1~exp1,
    sorting after your personal package), make it available on the web
    (e.g. on http://mentors.debian.net/) and send an RFS
    _to_the_official_maintainers_. You can also, in addition, make this
    RFS a bug against the sponsorship-requests pseudo package but
    please explain the situation carefully there.

Kind regards, Thibaut.

Rest of original post: