Re: dpkg, symlinks, directories

 ❦ 29 septembre 2012 17:17 CEST, "Andrej N. Gritsenko" <andrej@rep.kiev.ua> :

>>This is indeed intentional, that dpkg never replaces directories with
>>symlinks if directory is present, see [1] and [2] (under 4.).
>
>> [1]: http://bugs.debian.org/404850
>> [2]: http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-maintainerscripts.html#s-unpackphase
>
>>Andreas Beckmann recently is filling many of these bugs discovered by
>>piuparts runs (updating Squeeze -> Wheezy). Most common approach there
>>is to do the substitution in postinst, in case the directory is there.
>>See for example [3].
>
>     I supposedly not much understand how dpkg does this but my question
> is - isn't it simpler to delete directory in preinst? The install then
> can install the symlink in the place. Right? Redo every symlink install
> in postinst seems kinda dirty for me as it duplicates package creation
> steps at the time of install and may create invalid symlinks sometime.

In my case, this is quite complicated. I have done all this to allow a
user to install its own plugin in /var/lib/roundcube/plugins but if he
did install some plugins in /usr/share/roundcube/plugins because of the
symlink problem, I would erase them. Moreover, there are another package
that could install plugins in /usr/share/roundcube/plugins. This is
really tricky. :(
--
Make the coupling between modules visible.