Re: dpkg, symlinks, directories

Hi Vincent

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 11:59:38AM +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> In roundcube package, I am turning existing directories to symlinks and
> symlinks into directories. It seems that dpkg does not like that:
> symlinks are not replaced with the appropriate directories. I didn't
> find anything about this in the documentation. How should I handle such
> cases?

This is indeed intentional, that dpkg never replaces directories with
symlinks if directory is present, see [1] and [2] (under 4.).

 [1]: http://bugs.debian.org/404850
 [2]: http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-maintainerscripts.html#s-unpackphase

Andreas Beckmann recently is filling many of these bugs discovered by
piuparts runs (updating Squeeze -> Wheezy). Most common approach there
is to do the substitution in postinst, in case the directory is there.
See for example [3].

[3]: http://bugs.debian.org/687859

Does this helps?

Regards,