Re: assumptions about the build environment.

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 12:23:36AM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 08:26:24PM +0100, peter green wrote:
> > Some time ago I found that a package (I think it was openjdk but I
> > don't remember for sure) which relied on uname -r such that linux32
> > had to be used to build it in an i386 chroot on an amd64. However
> > since then I'm pretty sure i've seen similar cases with other
> > packages on other architectures being treated as bugs.
>
> They probably should try to use the output of dpkg-architecture to
> select the arch.  Then should never check that output of uname -m.

That's living on the assumption that there's never any upstream build
system which is both complex (thus difficult to patch correctly) and
relying on uname -m in one or more places. I'm not saying we should
necessarily support such systems, but if running inside something akin
to linux32 is not causing too many problems, it would make that easier.
What's the harm?

the following formula:

pi zz a