Re: Changes to Debian Maintainer upload permissions

Arno Töll <arno@debian.org> writes:

> On 22.09.2012 10:06, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
>> We are using this opportunity to clean up the "DM database" and will not
>> convert any of the DMUA flags to the new format, but two months ought to
>> be enough for any active DM to ensure their sponsor DDs have set the new
>> permission.
>
> please don't. This is not only to work out active DMs, but also a denial
> of service attack against active DMs where their former sponsor is
> unavailable or disappeared since then. It's not necessarily the DMs
> fault, if he fails to get _someone else_ to send a "be-alive" message
> within two months.

I am sure that on the rare occassion where the DM faces this kind of
trouble, we will be able to find a suitable solution. I don't think
anyone wants to punish DMs, quite the contrary.

I do not think there is any need to worry, no active DM will be left
behind. So if any DM is having an issue along these lines, yell, and I
am sure some solution will be found.

(I can think of at least three solutions, and only one requires more
work from the DM, but results in that M turning into a D, which can also
be beneficial in the long run!)