Re: mass bug filing about packages manipulating/deleting shipped files

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 09:53:37AM +0200, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
> On 2012-09-18 09:30, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
> > Just to give a short impression what we can find here:
>
> and some more
>
> bts, that's output from debsums -a -c, so the files listed have
> a md5sum mismatch (or are missing if noted)
>
> ilithuanian_1.2.1-3
>   /var/lib/ispell/lietuviu.hash
>   /var/lib/ispell/lietuviu.compat
> aspell-kk_0.2-1
>   /var/lib/aspell/kk.compat
>   /var/lib/aspell/kk.rws

I guess this is harmless and caused by the way dictionary hashes were
autobuilt during postinst. Already reported as #638730 for ispell-lt.

Old implementation used a 'touched' empty file as placeholder to help dpkg
remove files on package removal. This however triggers some debsums
differences. Not something to worry about, is stuff shipped under /var and
original md5sum was that of an empty file (so it is really a placeholder),
but still noisy.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/03/threads.html#00038

Some helper has been added to dictionaries-common snippets to make all this
from maintainer scripts, and a number of dicts are already modified to use
it and avoid the debsums warnings.

Other ispell/aspell dictionaries may still trigger this warning.

Regards,

--
Agustin