Re: mass bug filing about packages manipulating/deleting shipped files

On 09/17/2012 01:18 PM, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Sep 17, Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:
>
>> So we shall drop things like automatic configuration of postfix? It
>> actually even asks the user if the config file should be modified. That
>> is just one example of a lot others that jump into my mind.
> /etc/postfix/{main,master}.cf are not conffiles, so there is nothing
> wrong about the postfix package.

Oh well yes, bad example. We still have a lot of packages which modify
/etc/default/* with debconf. Portmap, sysstat, ... - and they are
supposed to be conffiles - which is rather annoying as the default
snippets not being written by deconf would mean that you have to store
the debconf generated stuff somewhere else, and source it...
Additionally to the snipped in /etc/default. Yet another waste of
developer time.