Re: question about section and name of a manpage

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 10:47:38PM +0200, Vincent Danjean wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>   In short, I would like to describe environment variables that
> can modify the behavior of a library.
> How should I name the manpage ? libXX ? libXX.so ? libXX.so.1 ? XX ?

I think libXX is preferable (allows for the possibility of a
static library in the future) but you could also symlink to
make it available as libXX.so too.

I don't think the soversion should be included unless the
documentation is specific to the soversion (e.g. some major API
change).

> In which section should I put this manpage ? (7 ?)
> Note that I do not want to describe the API of the library.
[...]

I think section 7 is right for overview documentation like this.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
                                                              - Albert Camus