Re: New upstream version of velvet contains debian/ dir

Le Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 11:35:25AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 04:30:38PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> >
> > For the packages that I started and on which I am still a major contributor, I
> > would like Upstream to include a debian directory in his source tarballs.
> > Other developers may dislike it for their package, and this is a choice that I
> > respect.
>
> I consider it reasonable if a package is team maintaines we should
> either stick to general Debian recommendations or override this in our
> team policy in case there might be reached some consensud about this.

Hi Andreas and everybody,

For the package velvet:  I created it.  I sometimes use it.  I uploaded it 14
times.  I met the developer in the real life (5 minutes...).  It has been some
time I have been considering switching the source package to Git in order to
track the upstream repository.  I want to pull from them and send them patches.

I found exiting to read that upstream maintains a debian direcory.  I think that it
is great, that it is fun, that it is rewarding, and that it will help Debian to
increase its relevance in the field of bioinformatics.  Upstream is responsive
and I want to work with them.

Others can have a different vision for their own packages.  There is no need
for a project-wide consensus there.  The upstream guide on Debian's wiki gives
an advice that is generic, but in the case of velvet, I volunteer to work
directly from the Git repository, so it is not needed to ask Upstream to remove
the debian directory from their tarballs.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,