Re: greater popularity of Debian on AMD64?

On 9 September 2012 16:49, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-09-08 at 22:46 -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>> But I object to "32-bit PC" and "64-bit PC".  i686, amd64, x86-32, x86-64...
>> at least those are correct.
>
> But none of them are widely understood.

But they are googleable, whereas "32-bit PC" matches stuff not
directly relevant.

>> 32-bit PC and 64-bit PC mean nothing,
>
> I think a lot more people know which of those they have.

Do they, I wonder? Anyway, while it seems a nice idea to try and
collapse the entire distinction between the two architectures into a
single number, I'm not really sure who is helped here. The current
architecture names are well established, also outside Debian. They're
everywhere, in the output of gcc, packages names, library names, etc.
Then there's the assumption that no other architecture can be a PC?

I'd say, a single unambiguous label is better than a vague label for
marketing purposes.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/