Re: Renaming packages: maintscripts

Hi,

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > That certainly seems a bit cleaner than assuming we know what the dpkg
> > database looks like it.  However the manual page says 'Warning: this
> > command is deprecated, please switch to use --control-list and
> > --control-show instead.'  Those options don't expose any filenames at
> > all!
>
> Hmm.  Perhaps the manpage needs updating, then; I'm sure this is the
> interface that's being recommended for coping with multiarch-related changes
> to control file paths.

The manual page is correct. That's because we want to keep the possibility
of not using a plain file storage for the control metadata that comes with
Debian packages.

Those changes have been made in particular to prepare for the case of
bundling changelogs/copyright files where we might want to store files
more efficiently (deduplicated, compressed, etc.).

In practice, the --control-path interface will likely stay around for
a good while, in particular for the subset of metadata that uses plain
file storage. But when --control-show is enough, you should certainly
use that instead.

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Of course if there is a plan to move the /var/lib/dpkg/info path
> elsewhere then the path should be obtained dynamically and properly
> quoted.  But is that ever really a potential possibility?

Yes, that's the whole purpose of this interface. Give some flexibility
to dpkg so that it can handle metadata more efficiently.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/