Re: Stuff from /bin, /sbin, /lib depending on /usr/lib libraries

Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Since you're talking of software RAID and LVM, that means you need an
> initramfs to boot your system. Thus, your systems will continue to
> boot with the proposed scenario, which supports booting with /usr on a
> separate filesystem if you have an initramfs.

Using software RAID and LVM does not require an initramfs.

Debian has supported booting from md RAID without using an initramfs for
a very long time.

GRUB2 can boot from LVM or a separate /boot, but in any case risk-averse
people might choose to avoid root-on-LVM; this is one of the reasons for
putting /usr on a separate filesystem in the first place.

The system I'm sending this email from would fail to boot if separate
/usr without initramfs stops being supported. If Debian doesn't want to
continue doing the work to support that configuration, fair enough; I'll
change. But I'd like to correct the impression that such systems don't
exist.

-M-