Re: Stuff from /bin, /sbin, /lib depending on /usr/lib libraries

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 10:57:10PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 08/31/2012 06:55 PM, Riku Voipio wrote:
> > How is that different from having a botched / or /boot ? Why do you
> > think having a separate /usr will make / less prone to HD crashes?
> > You have / on RAID5 while /usr isn't?
> >

> Typically, I have / on 2 small RAID1 partitions making the array on the
> first
> 2 HDD (1 or 2 gigs), and /usr on a LVM on a much, much larger RAID array
> (I use mostly software RAID1 and RAID10, but in some cases, much bigger
> hardware RAID5). So yes, that's my usual server setup.

Since you're talking of software RAID and LVM, that means you need an
initramfs to boot your system. Thus, your systems will continue to boot
with the proposed scenario, which supports booting with /usr on a
separate filesystem if you have an initramfs.

What exactly is the problem?

the following formula:

pi zz a