Re: Inconsistency between mime-support, shared-mime-info and file for PHP files media types.

Le Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 07:37:17PM -0700, Russ Allbery a écrit :

> There was a previous discussion on debian-devel about this, during which I
> posted a scetch of an implementation strategy for converting the XDG MIME
> files to the mailcap syntax.  Someone else then fleshed out that script a
> bit more, and I thought submitted it to the BTS, and then there was some
> subsequent discussion in the Technical Committee in the context of the
> evince application/pdf MIME registration that I thought indicated someone
> was working on that further.  It may be that I had misunderstood.

Now I understand :)

There are two FreeDeskotp (XDG) works relevant to media (MIME) types.

 - The menu entry specification (http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/),
   where a program can declare that it can operate on a given media type.  This
   is the one that was recently discussed, and indeed mime-support in experimental
   is a first step into de-duplication of information between packages desktop menu
   entries and mailcap entries.

 - The shared MIME info database and its specification (http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/shared-mime-info)
   (http://standards.freedesktop.org/shared-mime-info-spec/shared-mime-info-spec-latest.html),
   where media types are associated with file suffixes.  Some of these associations
   stem from the media type registrations to the IANA, which in the mime-support package
   are reflected in /etc/mime.types.  The shared MIME info database is distributed
   in Debian's package shared-mime-info, and in theory, this package would be able
   to produce and distribute /etc/mime.types as well.  In practice, I think that the
   unregistered types should be compared first.

I hope I (or others) will find time to submit a patch to the Policy in the next
months, to describe shared-mime-info in the same way as mime-support.

There is a third provider of media types, the "file" package.  I think it would
be good to eventually have a solid description of how media types are inferred in
Debian systems, and which packages operate on which installation profiles (mime-support
and file are of standard priority, while shared-mime-info is optional).

By the way, I completely agree to the comment you made to Josselin.  The
packages providing the minimal functionality are not a hindrance to more
advanced solutions.  I hope that the recent upload of mime-support to
experimental is a clear enough message.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy