Re: can we (fully) fix/integrate NetworkManager (preferred) or release-goal its decommissioning

On 2012-08-28 22:41:38 +0300, Serge wrote:
> All connections I can think of belong to one of two categories:
> 1. Permanent connections. Those are "setup-and-forget" connections.
> Typical for servers and wired desktops. Can be managed with ifupdown.
> 2. Temporary connections. Those are "use-once-and-forget" connections
> (e.g. wifi in airport/hotel). Typical for mobile/moveable devices.
> They're different from #1 because they should not be stored in configs.

No, there are also semi-permanent connections. For instance, the ADSL
connection for my laptop at home. It isn't permanent because my laptop
is not always at home. So, I need ifupdown + guessnet (to check the
MAC address of the router) + netplug.

There's also usbnet, which is used when I connect my Nokia N900 to
my laptop. There must also be a fixed setup, but I haven't found a
solution to recognize my N900 with ifupdown (the MAC address changes
too often).

Also, how to dynamically set the route (e.g. via eth0 or via usb0
[thanks to 3G connection on the other side] depending on some
conditions) is unclear.