Re: can we (fully) fix/integrate NetworkManager (preferred) or release-goal its decommissioning

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 04:21:18PM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 02:51:27PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > What I mean is that this still happens:
> >
> > # ifup eth0
> > # ifconfig eth0 down
> > # ifup eth0
> > ifup: interface eth0 already configured
> >
> > People talk about how ifupdown works well with other configuration
> > tools, unlike Network Manager.  But it doesn't, it only knows how to
> > undo the configuration specified in /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> ifupdown should be the only way to configure network interfaces. Debian
> should get rid of NM, ifconfig, ip, and all the other heretic programs
> that break ifupdown.

Unfortunately they are needed by ifupdown itself.  So instead we need
to have a mechanism in the kernel to refuse network configuration
that's not done by a child process of ifupdown.  Then you will have
to put all network configuration in ifupdown hook scripts.  Routing
daemons will not be supported, but they only cause confusion anyway.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
                                                              - Albert Camus