Re: can we (fully) fix/integrate NetworkManager (preferred) or release-goal its decommissioning

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 04:21:18PM +0200, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 02:51:27PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > What I mean is that this still happens:
> >
> > # ifup eth0
> > # ifconfig eth0 down
> > # ifup eth0
> > ifup: interface eth0 already configured
> >
> > People talk about how ifupdown works well with other configuration
> > tools, unlike Network Manager.  But it doesn't, it only knows how to
> > undo the configuration specified in /etc/network/interfaces.
> ifupdown should be the only way to configure network interfaces. Debian
> should get rid of NM, ifconfig, ip, and all the other heretic programs
> that break ifupdown.

Unfortunately they are needed by ifupdown itself.  So instead we need
to have a mechanism in the kernel to refuse network configuration
that's not done by a child process of ifupdown.  Then you will have
to put all network configuration in ifupdown hook scripts.  Routing
daemons will not be supported, but they only cause confusion anyway.

Ben Hutchings
                                                              - Albert Camus