Re: Proposal: Making Debian compiler agnostic

Le 29/08/2012 10:00, Simon McVittie a écrit :
On 28/08/12 16:54, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Mathieu Malaterre<malat@debian.org>  wrote:
At least from cmake point of view, a user need to provide an env var
'FC' for the fortran compiler and sets 'FLAGS'.

Missing one 'F', it should read 'FFLAGS'

Unfortunately, this isn't fully compatible with what Autoconf does (see
"info autoconf 'Fortran Compiler Characteristics'"). Autoconf
distinguishes between F77 and "modern Fortran" (whatever that means),
and cmake seems to have taken one variable name from each set.
I might be wrong but I think modern Fortran compiler can compile Fortran 77 code.
I think FC might be the way to go for this.

FYI, things are moving in the LLVM community about a LLVM-based fortran compiler.

Autoconf 2.69 in sid documents support for:

C              | CPP       | CC     | CFLAGS      | LIBS
C++            | CXXCPP    | CXX[1] | CXXFLAGS    | LIBS
F77            |           | F77    | FFLAGS      | FLIBS
modern Fortran |           | FC     | FCFLAGS     | FCLIBS
Objective C    | OBJCPP    | OBJC   | OBJCFLAGS   | LIBS (?)
Objective C++  | OBJCXXCPP | OBJCXX | OBJCXXFLAGS | LIBS (?)
Erlang         |           | ERLC   | ERLCFLAGS   |
Go             |           | GOC    | GOFLAGS     |

The GNU Coding Standards mention CC, CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS; the
rest are from Autoconf.
Great list. You constructed yourself or it is part of the autoconf documentation ?

Sylvestre