Re: can we (fully) fix/integrate NetworkManager (preferred) or release-goal its decommissioning

On Tue, 2012-08-28 at 22:41 +0300, Serge wrote:
> 2012/8/20 Noel David Torres Taño wrote:
>
> > Have you all minded that there are several *different* use cases?
> >
> > * Laptop user going here and there, sometimes with Wireless, sometimes
> > with cable, sometimes with USB stick
> > * Desktop user with home ADSL
> > * Server with several connections
> >
> > Each use case has its own needs, and its own best tools.
> >
> > No ifupdown nor NM will fit them all, ever.
>
> It should not be that hard to fit them all.
>
> All connections I can think of belong to one of two categories:
> 1. Permanent connections. Those are "setup-and-forget" connections.
> Typical for servers and wired desktops. Can be managed with ifupdown.
> 2. Temporary connections. Those are "use-once-and-forget" connections
> (e.g. wifi in airport/hotel). Typical for mobile/moveable devices.
> They're different from #1 because they should not be stored in configs.
[...]

I don't think there is this hard line between 'permanent' and
'temporary' connections.  Hotel wifi certainly isn't
'use-once-and-forget'.  I should be able to configure it when I arrive
and have it remembered as long as I stay.  But I could imagine having a
'temporary' checkbox that causes it to expire if unused for a week.

I also have multiple wired Ethernet configurations in Network Manager,
and choose which one I want after inserting the cable.

There are several other categories of dynamic connections, including:
3. VPN tunnels (server end)
4. Connections to a VM

Most likely these should not be managed by either ifupdown or NM.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Albert Einstein