Re: Proposal: Making Debian compiler agnostic

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 05:46:50PM +0200, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 05:18:48PM +0200, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> Hi,
>
> > Currently, it is the case that some packages are expecting gcc and g++
> > to be the default and (almost) only C and C++ compilers. While it has
> > been the case for the early days of the project, this assumption causes
> > more and more issues for folks who want to use something _other_ then
> > gcc or g++.
>
> Just curious, do you have a list of such packages?

No, I've not built up such a list. I've seen it enough for me to recall
this edge-case. Most packages with a lone Makefile usually have:

  CC=gcc

Or so. Some other packages (I remember this from our gcc-4.6 --> 4.7
transition) have hard-coded gcc versions, even though it built fine with
4.7.

So, no, but it's present. Shouldn't take too much work to track this
down. This was something I was planning to do once the general feel was
that this was a good idea.

> Cheers
>
> --
> perl -E '$_=q;$/= @{[@_]};and s;\S+;<inidehG ordnasselA>;eg;say~~reverse'