Re: About the media types text/x-php and text/x-php-source

On Sun, 2012-08-26 at 19:55 +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Hey Benjamin
>
> On Sat, 2012-08-25 at 15:44 +0200, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> > > text/x-java
> > > text/x-haskell
> > > [...]
> > Java and Haskell are compiled, but not interpreted languages.
> I guess (!!) what was meant there was the source files, e.g. in case of
> Java one has:
> *.java - source file
> *.class - binary
> (hope I didn't mix those two up now ^^)
>
> And in this case, "text/" is still preferred.
>
> Now obviously there's a small border; I guess IETF's idea is:
> "Can it be exectued/interpreted directly or by some interpreter? Then
> application/*"
>
> With things like SVG it's quite tricky,... SVG has "application/" (as
> most XML types will have)... the reason probably, that it's interpreted
> into "drawing commands".

I think the reason is that SVG is not usually read or written using
generic text tools.  Similarly the X bitmap type is image/x-xbitmap and
not text/x-xbitmap, even though it can be read as ASCII text.  (A new
top-level type like 'vector' would have been better though.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.